Thursday, November 1, 2012

Toffee Apple French Toast with Apple Syrup



They say an apple a day...

Fall is here, and where have I been?  I have a bunch of apple recipes I need to post.  I guess I need to get busy.  I am realizing I love cooking with apples.

It's not the sexiest fruit, but here in Chicago in the Fall the stores are packed with them.  I was recently at the grocery store with a friend and she was bummed there wasn't anything decent for a fruit tray.  Luckily she was only bringing the fruit tray to my house for a brunch.  No biggie.  I guess it's not the best time to offer to bring fruit.  :)  I need to remember that one when I offer to bring something somewhere.

I love having people over for breakfast/brunch.  It's such a comfy, casual thing.  Who doesn't love brunch?  You can't really go wrong.  Wanting to have people over?  Invite them to come in their pj's.  It's fun!

This is an overnight recipe which is so helpful when you are getting up in the am and don't have a ton of time before people will be arriving.  The syrup is fantastic, it totally steals the show.

This recipe comes from Nadine Mesch winner of a baking contest from Costco.  Yup, I'll find recipes anywhere.  

French Toast~
8 cups French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tart apples, peeled and chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1/2 cup English toffee bits
5 eggs
3/4 cup milk

Apple Syrup~
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups apple juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 tablespoons butter

For the French Toast~
Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.  Top with apples.  In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugars, apple juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.  Stir in toffee bits.  Spread cream cheese mixture over apples.  Top with remaining bread cubes.

In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well blended; pour over the bread.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  While the French toast is baking, prepare the apple syrup.

For the Apple Syrup~
In a medium size saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple juice and lemon juice; heat to a boil, whisking constantly.  Boil for 1 minute, then stir in butter.  Serve over warm french toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment