Sunday, September 15, 2013

Key Lime Pie

Picture to come soon... I've had so many people requesting the recipe, I thought I needed to at least get it posted.  :)



This might be the best Key Lime Pie I've ever had.  It happens to be one of, if not my favorite dessert.  So, that is saying a lot.  I don't normally order dessert when I'm out.  I'd rather have an appetizer or just more of my dinner.  But, if Key Lime Pie is on the menu I kinda can't resist.  I've had some really bad, and some pretty fantastic.  Wildfire is my favorite but, this one is better.  No contest.  

People ask what the difference is between regular limes and key limes.  Some people say there is no difference.  There is, a foodie will be able to tell a difference in taste.  Key limes are much smaller and yellow when ripe.  Although they are usually picked green commercially.  They have a higher acidity, a stronger aroma and are more tart than a regular lime.  If you can't find key limes you can use regular, it just won't be the same.  I have seen bottled Key lime juice in the stores.  I would say skip the purchase and buy regular limes.  Maybe the stuff in a bottle could be used as a cleaner?!

This recipe comes from Jeff O'Neill.  Executive Chef at Donald Trump's Mar~a~Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.  It is the most requested dessert on the menu.  Of course it is, it's amazing! Some of you may have seen him make it on Oprah.  This is the exact recipe with the chocolate addition at the end that he did, but wasn't on the printed recipe.  


3/4 pound graham crackers
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 sticks melted butter
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice
1 lime, zested (I use a regular lime for the zest)
1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (4 ounce) white chocolate, grated (I use Ghirardelli)  

To make graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 325.

Break up the graham crackers, place in a food processor and process to crumbs.  Add the melted butter, sugar and sea salt and pulse until combined.  Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9~inch tart pan, forming an even layer on the bottom, sides and edge.  Bake the crust for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool.  

To make the filling:  While the crust is resting, in an electric mixer with the wire which attachment, whip the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until fluffy, or 5 to 6 minutes.  Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick, 3 to 4 minutes longer.  Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated.  

Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the filling has just set.  Cool on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.  

To make the topping:  Whip the cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until nearly stiff.  Evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to serving.  

** My notes.  Sprinkle the grated white chocolate on top of whipped cream before refrigerating.  
Also, if you don't have sea salt, go out and get some.  It totally makes the crust.  
Line your oven with a liner or foil as the butter in the crust comes out of the pan a little.  You don't want to have a smoking oven the next time you use it.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete