Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lemon Chicken Scaloppine with Pine Nut~Parmesan Crust

I used to order something like this all the time, at one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in California.  It was totally my usual, I'm not sure I ever ordered anything else.  This is as close as I can get with a few additions that I think make it even better!  So when I am feeling homesick, of course, I'll call my family.  I also might watch Legally Blonde, listen to Ryan Seacrest on the online radio and make this.  :)

The crust is full of flavor, with the lemon zest, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.  Served with the baby arugula salad on the side, perfect.  The peppery arugula with the tomato and balsamic glaze is a great match with the lemon in the chicken.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup flour
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 lemons
3/4 cup grated good quality Parmesan cheese (I use Parmigiano Reggiano)
1/2 cup chopped pine nuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra~virgin olive oil

Place chicken breasts in a large zip lock bag.  Using a meat mallet, pound chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick.  Do a couple at a time in batches.

Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper on a large plate.  Put the eggs on another plate.  On a third plate (you may want to use a larger shallow dish for the crust mixture) combine the panko, zest from 1 lemon (at least 2 teaspoons), 1 teaspoon salt, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and basil.  Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.  Coat both sides in flour, then eggs (allowing excess to drip off), then panko mixture, pressing lightly.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.  When pan is hot, add 2 chicken breasts; cook about 3 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through.  Remove and keep warm on a plate tented with foil.  Add more butter and oil to skillet with each batch.  Cut remaining unpeeled lemon into wedges.  Squeeze a couple wedges over the chicken before serving and place remaining lemon on serving platter.

Serve with Baby Arugula Salad.

Baby Arugula Salad with Balsamic Glaze

bunch of baby arugula
tomatoes
balsamic glaze
extra~virgin olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
shavings of Parmesan cheese

Cut tomatoes and mix in a bowl with balsamic glaze, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.   Place on top of the arugula.  Garnish with more balsamic glaze and shavings of cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks absolutely delicious! Parm and pine nuts would make the best crust! I'm drooling over here - bookmarking this one so I can make it soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea, it's one of my favorites! I hope you like it...

    ReplyDelete