Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cinnamon~Sugar Nuts

Cinnamon~Sugar Pecans

Cinnamon~Sugar Cashews

My family loves these, anytime I make them they seem to disappear rather quickly.  I can eat nuts all day long.  One of my favorite things!  Use whatever kind of nut you prefer. Everyone in my house has a favorite.  I usually make a couple different kinds, they're super easy.  The pecan is without a doubt my favorite.  Walnuts are amazing as well.  Go crazy and mix them up!  Great to make during the holidays, or let's be honest...anytime!

The cinnamon in these makes them different from the sugared nuts I love to add to salads. They are what I would prefer to just snack on.  Although, the pecans would totally work in the right salad.

If you don't have a candy thermometer, you can use this test to know if your mixture is at a soft ball stage.  Drop a small amount of the sugar mixture into a glass of cold water. The sugar mixture will form a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water.

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups cashews

Combine sugar, evaporated milk, water, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil until mixture reaches a soft ball stage, or 235~240 degrees on a candy thermometer.  (I usually take this off the heat at 235 rather than going all the way to 240).

Stir in cashews and spread out on waxed paper to cool.  Separate quickly using a fork so nuts don't stick together too much.  If nuts are stuck together after they cool, break them apart by hand.

*They are prettier if you get them separated before they cool completely.  I'm all about pretty, so even though they are sticky it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment