Thursday, March 31, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


When I was a kid, I used to love helping my dad make soup.  I was in love with the fact that he never had a recipe but would just keep adding things to make something really great.  Maybe that's why I can't seem to follow a recipe, I love changing them or making things up as I go along.

Broccoli isn't one of my favorite vegetables, but I really like broccoli cheese soup.  I love cream of anything soup, if I'm being honest.  Another bonus, it's pretty hard to mess up.  This is a combination of a few recipes, that I've kinda made into one.  This is a really great soup and it's easy.  My 9 and 2 year old daughters helped me make this.


6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup all~purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream (you could use half and half)
3 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups broccoli florets
1 large carrot, diced
2 1/2 cups sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, grated. Plus more for garnish



Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, about 4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the cream until smooth. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli. Return to the pot. (Or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender.)
Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Add up to 3/4 cup water if the soup is too thick.  Garnish with more cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment